Why can`t I see any reports when they are opened in Adobe Acrobat?
If you are unable to see the reports when they are launched in Adobe Acrobat, try setting the "Display PDF in browser" setting to false. In Acrobat Reader 6.0 this setting is found on the "Internet" tab after navigating to "Edit | Preferences". If you are using a different version of Adobe Acrobat, please consult the "help" documentation provided with the software.

How do I get a copy of a police report?
You may send a written request to the: Gainesville Police Department, Records Section, 413 NW 8th Ave, Gainesville, FL 32602 or call the Records Section at (352) 393-7565. When requesting a report, you must specify on your request if you wish to pick up the report at the station or have it mailed to you. You may also, click here to go to the Incident Report and Traffic Crash Report Request Form.

How do I pay or contest a traffic citation?
You can pay or contest citations at the Alachua County Courthouse. Click here for further information regarding traffic citation and fine options.

How do I find out if someone has been or still is incarcerated?
You can obtain this information by going to the website click here or by contacting the Alachua County Sheriff`s Office Department of the Jail, booking division at (352) 491 - 4444.

How do I pay or contest a parking citation?
The City of Gainesville Code of Ordinances, provides for waiving of the fee for the following reasons: Malfunctioning meter; Valid and verifiable emergencies; Government employees on verified official business; City volunteers detained due to verified volunteer duties; and Error in issuance of citation when an affidavit is filed. "Affidavit of Explanation for Notice of Parking Violation" forms are available 24 hrs. a day, 7 days a week in the lobby of the Gainesville Police Department. These forms must be completed within 72 hours of issuance of the citation. The 72 hour response period includes weekends and holidays. To pay a parking citation: Fines may be paid in cash, by check or money order when the office is open. A drop box is available to pay parking fines (by check or money order) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The drop box is located in the lobby of the Police Department. Parking citations must be paid within 72 hours of the date the violation was issued. Citations may be paid by mail, but must be postmarked within 72 hours of the date the violation was issued to avoid assessment of late fee(s). To pay a fine by mail, send the citations and a check or money order (Do Not Send Cash) payable to the "City of Gainesville" to: City of Gainesville Station 45, P.O. Box 490 Gainesville, FL 32602

What should I do about a noise complaint?
Contact the Gainesville Police Department at (352) 955-1818 and give the call taker the location where the noise is coming from and what type of noise it is. An officer will respond and determine if the noise violates current noise ordinance provision. If a violation is verified, the offender may be warned or cited, depending on how many times the site is visited and a violation observed within the time frame specified by City Ordinance. The complainant does not need to agree to have the officer contact him/her during the investigation of the noise complaint.

How do I file a complaint or a concern about a Department member?
Click here to learn more about making a complaint or listing a concern.

How do I send a "thank you" to a GPD member?
Click here to receive more information on how to send a thank you.

How do I get my property back from the Gainesville Police Department?
If your property was collected and has not been submitted as evidence, you may call our office to set up an appointment to obtain your property at (352) 334-2439 between M-F regular business hours. A valid picture identification, such as a driver`s license or ID card, that shows a current address and your date of birth, will need to be presented at the time you retrieve your property. If your property has been submitted as evidence, it can only be released with permission from the detective or state attorney handling the case. Once the authorization for release has been obtained, you may call our unit and set up an appointment. You will need a picture ID, as indicated above, to retrieve your property. If you are unable to claim your property yourself, you may authorize a family member/friend to pick it up for you. They MUST present an official notarized letter from you, giving them permission to do so. They must present a valid picture identification, such as a driver`s license or ID card, that shows a current address and date of birth when they come to claim your property.

How do I obtain a local or statewide criminal history check?
The Records Section controls the release of information regarding persons who have been arrested by the Gainesville Police Department. There are 3 ways to receive local arrest information: 1. You may call the Records Section at (352) 393-7565 2. You may fill out a request form at the front desk at the station. 3. You may write to the Gainesville Police Department Records Section, PO Box 1250, Gainesville, FL 32602. To obtain a statewide criminal history you must contact the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) at (850) 410-8109, or visit their web site.

How can I pick up my vehicle if it has been towed?
To get a vehicle out of the impound, the registered owner of the vehicle must come to the police station at 721 NW 6th Street. The following documents to receive a release form from the front desk officer/PST. 1) Driver`s License 2) Registration for the vehicle After the front desk officer/PST has photocopied the documents, you will be required to sign the tow sheet. The tow sheet is a Department form containing general information about your vehicle and why it was towed. You will then receive a release form and a copy of the signed tow sheet. If the registered owner wants you to pick up the vehicle, have him/her complete a letter stating that he/she is giving you power of attorney to do so. The letter must identify you, describe the vehicle, and be formally witnessed through a notary. The letter then must be faxed to GPD at (352) 334-2058 from the registered owners local police department. Along with the letter, a photocopy of the registered owner`s driver`s license. Once these documents are received a release form will be completed. If you parked your vehicle on private property and the vehicle is towed by the owner of the property. First, look in the area where you parked for a tow-away zone sign. If you locate a sign it should tell you the towing company`s name and phone number. If you cannot locate this information, you can contact the Gainesville Police Department at (352) 334-2400. Give the call taker your vehicle description and the location your vehicle was towed from. The call taker should be able to assist you with locating your vehicle. When your vehicle is towed in this manner it is not a police matter, it is a civil matter, and the fees are set by the company that towed your vehicle

How can I get my firearm back from the Gainesville Police Department?
There are certain requirements for releasing firearms back to the public. If you have been convicted of a felony or a domestic violence crime, or the judge has ordered you not to possess a firearm, your firearm will NOT be released back to you under any circumstances. For information on how to claim your firearm regarding other situations, you may call our office. The Property/Evidence Section can be contacted at (352) 334-2439 - During regular business hours.

Where can I go to be fingerprinted for a job application/license?
Fingerprinting for job applications and licenses is done between the hours of 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m on Wednesdays (not including holidays) in the lobby of the Police Department. The cost is $5.00 per card and citizens must provide the fingerprint cards. University of Florida students/faculty members can be fingerprinted for free by the University of Florida Police Department 24 hours a day. Santa Fe Community College offers a similar program to their students/faculty members. NOTE: The Gainesville Police Department is not authorized to fingerprint people for INS purposes. All INS fingerprint cards are handled by INS in Jacksonville. For further information you can call (904) 232-3160.

After an arrest has been made or sworn complaint filed who do I contact for further information about the arrest?
Once a sworn complaint is filed or arrest has been made, you may contact the State Attorney`s Office at (352) 374-3670 to obtain follow-up information on a case. When contacting that agency you will need to know the name of the defendant you are inquiring about.

Back To FAQ List

Request in process, please wait...